Textbook assignment: Chapter 4, Solid-State Power Supplies, pages 4-1 through 4-62.
4-1. Which of the following is NOT one of
the four sections of a basic power
4-2. The primary purpose of the transformer
in an electronic power supply is to isolate
the power supply from ground.
4-3. What is the primary function of the
1. To convert dc to ac
2. To convert ac to pulsating dc
3. To increase average voltage output
4. To decrease average voltage output
4-4. What is/are the functions of the filter
1. To eliminate dc voltage
2. To increase the amplitude of ac
3. To convert pulsating dc to steady dc
4. All of the above
4-5. The purpose of a center tap in a
transformer is to provide
1. two separate dc voltages to the
2. a step-down voltage to the rectifier
3. pulsating dc to the rectifier
4. two equal voltages from one
4-6. A diode is an ideal rectifier for which, if
any, of the following reasons?
1. Current flows through the diode in
one direction only
2. Current flows through the diode in
3. Current will not flow through a diode
4. None of the above
4-7. When the anode of a diode is negative
with respect to the cathode, the diode is
said to be in what state?
4-8. In a simple half-way rectifier, the diode
will conduct for a maximum of how
many degrees of the 360-degree input
4-9. What term is used to describe current
pulses that flow in the same direction?
1. Average current
2. Secondary current
3. Pure direct current
4. Pulsating direct current
4-10. What is the ripple frequency of a
half-wave rectifier with an input line
frequency of 60 Hz?
1. 30 Hz
2. 60 Hz
3. 90 Hz
4. 120 Hz